Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Black Kids


The Black Kids, of which only two of the band members actually make this namesake a truth (which I love), are hitting the scene, doing a great job, about to become famous. They are your run of the mill indie band in a lot of ways, but they have a shocking name, some really great songs, and an eclectic mix of characters that makes them intriguing on a world wide fame kind of level.

They’ve received national recognition. The New York Times has supposedly taken notice, Billboard has their eye on them, and Rolling Stone has even marked them as one of the ten best new bands for 2008. So wow! Another great thing coming out of great ol’ Jacksonville.

I vaguely kind of have met these guys on a few random occasions. We run in similar circles. I am a semi-regular at TSI, their local headquarters where a few of the members DJed for a while. When I went to my first Black Kids show, I was excited. It’s cool to see someone close to you do so well. (As we are clearly, like, best friends forever.) I think this must be a trend amongst people wanting to take some claim of the fame for themselves. And I knew who they were and I knew they were getting a lot of attention. When I heard they were coming to TSI (but of course), I had to see what all the fuzz was about.

The show was great. I mean, they made me want to dance and move around and there was a lot of clapping and shouting (by band members) and things of that nature. I can’t remember any of the songs, but that could have been the beer or the dancing or the way I couldn’t really see through the over-packed throng of fans.

After the show I went up to one of the band members and asked them how it felt to be experiencing so much success. His basic response to me was: It’s about f—king time.

I must have looked shocked (as I stood there motionless) because he followed it by explaining how hard he had worked for so long and blah blah blah.

Well well well! Divaness unite! Actually, there is this syndrome that I have been unlucky enough to experience first hand a number of times. It’s called LSD. It makes you hallucinate, think you’re God, see things that aren’t really there. It is Lead Singer Disorder. It happens to the best of them. I think it’s a sure fire sign that a band has reached some kind of mild success.

So, perhaps this band won’t be that band. Although I have never seen a band it didn’t affect. The Shins seem to suffer from this. (This one time in Atlanta, after driving hours to see them live, we ended up staying at their hotel. The lead singer was walking past us and we said good show. Yet, he somehow found it impossible to even turn his eyes our way. LSD I tell you!) It’s a pretty rampant disorder that producers and A&R guys and band members will all back up.

So the next time I go to see them I set my expectations at par. Big egos, good music, lots of people, dancing. Pretty average.

I pass that same band member leaning against the bar with a few of his friends. None of them are talking. Just staring into the great abyss that is his success. I ask if I can get his picture.

He immediately starts to giggle.

“You want to take my picture?” he asks me, still giggling while his silent friends move to the sides like the red sea parting for Moses.

“No no no!” I keep telling them. I just wanted a normal picture. “Get back together. I wanted you as you were.”

The friends seemed surprised, and so did mister LSD. But he complied. And I got a nice, “normal” picture of a guy and his friends.

There was also a crew at this show filming a documentary. They didn’t tell you who they were with exactly, but they only asked questions about The Black Kids.

“Do you own any of their music?” they would ask.

“No,” I responded. I didn’t even know you could own their music yet.

“What do you think about their new success?”

“I’m waiting to see if they will develop major diva behavior.” I said in all seriousness.

“Why do think that will happen?” he asks, laughing through bit cheeks.

“Because it happens to every band that experiences some level of success.”

“And you don’t think The Black Kids are different?” This guy was about to crack up.

“No.”

No comments: