Friday, October 23, 2009

The Deadly Donkey

So, its been a really long time since I have posted anything on this blog. I had kind of given up on the adventures of blogging as something mundane and trivial. Somehow the rest of the virtual world had not been lost on me, just blogging.

However, thanks to some extremely well written blogs, many of them local, I am kind of re-inspired. And actually see the usefulness of the structure. Telling little tidbits of the day without any limit to 140 characters or making such hugely plastered statements as on facebook. Just here, in case the world happens to stumble upon it.

A very close person in my life passed away recently. It's been extremely difficult to understand, swallow, deal with, handle. You name it, I basically am not doing it that well, right now.

Today my husband made me some coffee. Usually my morning ritual, but I was feeling the blues and he took the lead.



He gave me my coffee in my "Deadly Donkey" mug. I had gotten it years ago in London, while on my college spring break with a couple friends. Ahh the life of a college student.

The mug reads:

Beware the Deadly Donkey falling slowly from the sky
You can CHOOSE the way you LIVE, my friend
But not the way you DIE

Today, I am back to choosing. I think it's easy to slip into life like an old pair of jeans and get comfortable. I wish I had chosen to be a little more active in my friend's life before he passed on. But as his oh so wise sister said, let's just leave our regrets there.

So here's to choosing. Not letting life slip by you like it's floating down the Ichetucknee. And look, even the Donkey is smiling.

5 comments:

mary said...

Welcome back! We missed you!

rachel best henley said...

Beautiful post, Hil. That mug is great.

smitty said...

very nice. I'm enjoying the recent upsurge- makes me feel a little more connected :)

katherine said...

that made me tear up. it's nice to read your words again. x

katherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.