Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Hype Machine: Something to Study About

My friend Cielo recently turned me onto the website/blog/awesomeness/extraordinaire/musicblogforloversofblogsandmusic The Hype Machine.




This blog is where one can go to find out what music bloggers [ahem, awesome] are posting on their blogs, which bands are most blogged about as of late, which songs are being linked to the most frequently, and all kinds of other groovy information. It is easy to spend hours perusing its various alleyways of wonder, or to just simply click on one of the "Most Blogged Artists", located in the upper right hand corner, and play their songs for hours on end without ever having to touch your computer again. It will do that. It will just play play play and open your world to new great tunes.

As if that weren't enough to make me love them [and Cielo], I get this email today from them with a "Special Music Update".


ciaohilary, welcome to a special music update!

Our annual Music Blog Zeitgeist 2009 runs today through Friday. We're showcasing the best artists/albums/songs of 2009 by releasing 10 each day.

Top 50 Artists: We invited 50 visual artists to create an original piece showcasing the band. The results are stunning!

Top 50 Albums: After tabulating 500+ bloggers' personal Top 10 lists, the results are in. Listen to every album powered by Grooveshark!

Top Songs Show: A special edition Radio Show featuring the most popular songs of the year. Stream now or download the MP3.

Taylor
 I have really only ventured into the "TOP 50 ALBUMS" section so far, and once there, really only yesterday's listing. There is almost too much for my ADD, somewhat lazy brain to take. My two picks for today are:


“A throwback to 80's music like Depeche Mode and 
Duran Duran but fits perfectly in 2009.” — Art Nouveau Magazine

Justin and I fell in love with this weird, androgonous, Tilda Swinton look-alike and her group's music [not a solo gig, despite appearances] while honeymooning in Ireland. Her looks freak me out in that I-cannot-stop-staring-at-you-because-you-might-be-a-he/she kind of way. Their music is innovative, dancy, and still somewhat emotional. I dig it.

-&-

“Getting all these egos together could have been a disaster, but as it turned out,
Monsters of Folk is an effort worth the wait, and the time.” — Each Note Secure

I know little about this band. I've listened to a few of their songs and I really like them. It is some sort of hipster super-group, if you would, consisting of Jim James from My Morning Jacket, Conor Oberst and Mike Mogis from Bright Eyes and M. Ward. I am really looking forward to hitting the "Play Entire Album" button on the HypeM website and venturing into some newness. 

Considering these are numbers #42, and #41 respectively, it can only get better from here.  I will be making a valiant effort to enjoy them all. I have been needing a new music education lately. Getting stuck inside trying to write more, trying to read more [sigh], trying to keep a house and a husband and two cats, working tutto il tempo, and generally live some kind of social life has kept me from expanding my musical horizons. [You would think with a musician husband this would be a snap, but no. He is worse than me.] I'm kind of overloaded already. Ha. Did I mention the short attention span?

Anyway, enjoy.  

P.S. Stumbled into listening to #50 Mumford and Sons... some delicious folk rock for you, with a little Irish twinge to it.  They do love them some American Country over there.

1 comment:

mary said...

Thank you for this. I am in looove.