Monday, January 4, 2010

What this crystal ball has shown me.


To spend more time noticing the small things. About the tiny things around me. The fibers of my sweater. The strands of my hair. The way the pillow crinkles under the weight of my leg when I sit on the sofa. The way the grating looks on the fireplace. The way the wood floors feel under my toes.  The way that one ornament dangles precariously over the edge of the tree. And allowing those things to show me the simple things about myself. The way I sigh after accidentally holding my breath. The way I trace my lips with my finger when I am thinking. The way I don't tighten the Sigg bottle cap too tightly, heading the careful advice of my older sister.


 
To value friendship. To value real friendship. Real love. To put effort into the relationships that matter. To enjoy the moments we have together. To laugh as much as possible. To laugh off as much as possible. And to let go of the things that seem big, but are really small, to make room for the things that seem small, but are really big. 

 
To notice the simple things in others. The way Justin wipes a tear from the corner of his eye so casually when he has seen a sappy commercial. The way my sister licks her lips three times while eating something she enjoys. The way my mother rubs my hand for no reason at all, just for a moment, to show me she loves me. The way Alicia straightens her clothes so precariously to ensure that they are perfectly aligned, regardless of the fact that with one single motion, all that effort will be for naught.

 
To take life less seriously. But to take the serious things.

 
 To never be afraid to embarrass myself, for the sake of fun. [Not that I ever was that much before. But a good reminder.] If you get it, then you get me.

 
 To be grateful.


[And to Allie D. To notice the crazy coffee mugs. ]

1 comment:

kellie said...

yay! sweet post - fun pics