Monday, March 1, 2010

I Spy With My Magic Eye...

It was while perusing the various discount, specialty, seasonal, best selling tables at the Barnes & Nobles looking for a birthday present that I came across a little gem from my past. I was looking for a gift for a graphic designer... not exactly the easiest task in the book if you are looking to be even somewhat impressive.

I had my hand wrapped around a Salvador Dali coffee table book [the kind with fold out envelope pouches filled with replica's of real life tid-bits from Dali's past] when out of the corner of my eye I caught the shiny blue shimmer of one of the most fascinating pieces of bound art ever created. The Magic Eye book.



3D Hidden Treasures.

Growing up, I spent hours on my knees, crushing the lime green shag carpeting of the den in my family's mountain house in North Carolina, criss crossing my visual way into the magical land of the Magic Eye books. Even today, when I return to the house, shag carpeting now replaced with a respectable beige rug over wooden floors, I still find myself drawn to their charm. Their secrets whispered to you over a two dimensional surface suddenly transformed into a tangible escape. Tangible until you try to look away, or grab hold of it, or show someone else. It's all in the magic of your mind.










Directions on the back. 

My friend's birthday party was an eclectic mix of old friends, new friends, young friends, blue friends. No no... no blue friends. There were a few cousins and strangers from the bar who had meandered over for what must have obviously looked like a great time. Not everyone knew each other. After I begged my friend to go retrieve his Magic Eye book from his car, it ended up being a fun way for everyone to mingle, testing their magic eye skills, and breaking the ice. Strangers gathered shoulder to shoulder, laughing over the odd images popping up off of the flat pieces of paper. Explanations were thrown out for how Magic Eye is created and why it works. And one man already owned the book himself.



Olympian Magic Eyer.

Unfocused focus. 

The beauty is in the blurry. 

I knew almost immediately after seeing this vintage treasure [circa 1993] that it would be the perfect gift for my friend. It's graphic. It's art. It's complicated. It's fun. It's kid friendly. It requires skill. It is basically something everyone can enjoy, except for those who can't figure out how to do the magic. Which then basically enfuriates them.

It turned out that my friend was one of those unlucky few. He told tales of spending time after time staring into these 2D/3D wonders to no avail, but after a few rounds of birthday mango gatorades and a little help from his trusty friends, it was easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Don't got it... Don't got it...



Got it!

I am seriously considering getting a Magic Eye book for my own personal collection now. It's the gift that keeps on giving. It's the trick that never gets old. It's the fun that can always be had.

Jury's still out on whether or not my friend shares my enthusiasm on the gift. For now I will just assume yes and be done with it.

5 comments:

Heather said...

best. gift. ever. period.

after that night, i have come to the conclusion that magic eye is much easier sober...which doesn't really make sense.

Anonymous said...

Your assumption is correct. I love the book!!! thanks to you Justin for this spectacular gift. I used to hate these things, but with your help I was able to finally get it. Okay, maybe the Mango Gatorades helped a little!

It ended up being so much additional fun for everyone that night.

Thank you!

hilarydarling said...

i am so glad you guys love it! and heather, i can see how soberness would increase magic eye skill. even though its a matter of unfocusing the eyes... you somehow have to be able to focus too. haha. it is, after all, magic.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
Wish you a happing using.

many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for helping with hosting and developement of the theme
Neassyplela

Shaara said...

I love those books, and have fond memories of the one at the mountain house. I have been lucky in my ability to see the images almost immediately. It always frustrates me when someone else can't see them though. I try to tell them to look through the image, but it never works...UGH! Any hints?!