Thursday, April 1, 2010

Orchid Style


Recently, I went to the Orchid Show at The Garden Club with my madre. We are both kind of new to the orchid scene. It's a little bit cultish. But, understandably. They are not your average flower. There's a lot going on there. Beauty, grace, intelligence [beauty pageant requirements met]. Although I have yet to join the Orchid Society. Not that fanatical... yet.

 
My interest began by accident. My mom gifted me an orchid for a Spanish Dinner Party I was hosting [with my friend Katherine who had recently returned from living in Bar[th]elona]. My friend Cielo came over, met my orchid, and explained that she had multiple pet orchids, herself.


I didn't even know you could "keep" them that way. Like, the flower dies, out to the trash it goes [my mom's somewhat ruthless stratgey]. Cielo versed me in the easiest-flower-to-keep-on-the-planet ways [water once or twice a month, leave in the same spot all the time, check the leaves], and voila... now I have three. [Not counting the one that died. A tragedy.]

[Our bounty.]

Orchids are really fascinating. Fickle, delicate, mind blowingly beautiful, but yet aloof, loners, and extremely easy going [unless you move them, in which case they get extremely morose]. I think we could all take a little cue from an orchid. In any given situation just ask yourself, what would your orchid do?

Stand there looking pretty, fascinating people and making them slightly uncomfortable. A complex creature. There is more to you than meets the eye, but you simply can't be bothered. Orchid style.

No comments: